Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Just a thought on how to attract more people to Skritter...

west4east   February 23rd, 2010 11:49p.m.

Here is a thought, maybe not worth two pennies. I have seen forums around the net, gaming forums, wikia forums, developer forums and so on. And people love to relish making their signatures as cool and as "intimidating" as possible, for others to view. As if trying to say "Look as my sig, I'm the one to deal with in this forum!" And then I saw that some specific forums (specially wikia-related forums and gaming forums) have developed a little nifty JavaScript gadget (PHP-fed, of course) where they could display something in the signature of the user; something that would "add" status to the user.

I used to play PlanetSide and BF 1942 a few years ago, and I used to carry a signature in their specific forums where it would show how many enemies I've killed and how many battle hours I had, which was kinda cool... My wikipedia signature still carries the amount of contributions I have made to Wikipedia (but it is now limited to be shown only inside the Wikia user's page, within Wikia).

So I thought, if there would be a signature which people could attach in language-related and China-related forums around the web, where it would display something like "I've learned xxx amount of new Chinese characters in the last xxx amount of time, ad so can you! Try Skritter!" It could also be a jaw-dropper as I just saw how a member had more than 4 hours a day of study and neared the 1700 characters, and I was like "Whoa!"...

Anyway, just my two pennies...

Lurks   February 24th, 2010 3:05a.m.

He's absolutely right, that would be awesome. That's got loads of legs just for badges to pop on web sites/blogs as well eh? And need I really point out the obvious? Facebook...

faceleg   February 24th, 2010 8:11a.m.

+1

nick   February 25th, 2010 9:05a.m.

Badges are on the list. I was unaware that forums were letting people put JavaScript sigs--that's pretty cool. Will keep it in mind for when we do the badges.

Our idea is similar, to show off your Skritter progress. We were thinking total progress instead of recent, though.

雅各   February 25th, 2010 4:38p.m.

As long as peope cant attach them to forum posts (:

Its nice to not have every other line of text some meaningless unreleated content to the discussion. (:

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!