since today i have a bamboo pen, i explored lots of the forum posts about settings and whatnot to make it as comfortable and efficient an experience as possible.
After following everyones advice and playing around with the settings myself, these are my thoughts and questions:
- although a little more comfortable, it is much slower than the mouse. I've been skritting for 45 mins now and feel like i haven't done anything. Someone has the same experience or will I speed up after getting used to the tablet?
- writing raw squigs is useless for me. What i am able to draw looks absolutely terrible, no matter how slow and concentrated i write. Even writing ABC, I don't seem to manage writing something that comes close to looking decent. Any advice?
- it seems that the smallest possible area that you can limit the tablet to, is perfect for me. But where do you put it? I tried many places and until now the best is in the upper left corner. I would like to put my hand next to the tablet so it would be lower, but the side is too wide. I haven't found the right screen area limit yet, as to not have a fast and erratic mouse pointer but also not to move my hand too much.
- the pen is absolutely huge. how do you hold it? If I hold it like a normal pen i keep on pushing that button. If holding differently I get tired very soon.
- Do you look at the tablet when writing? Maybe imagining a little box on the tablet. I would love to do this, problem is if a stroke is not recognized, you are unaware of it.
- Although you guys recommend pen mode, I had no problems with mouse mode. Just put mouse speed and acceleration to low levels. This way it is easier to keep the mouse pointer in the skritter box. Drawback is that it seems to be impossible to limit screen or tablet area, so I have to move my hand a little too far. Haven't tried it for a long time though, been busy experimenting with and tweaking screen and tablet area in pen mode.
conclusion: I am a little dissapointed, I expected much easier writing, but a lot of the dissapointment is due to the fact that i was overly exited when the thing finally arrived. It's only 400 kuai and I definitely don't feel it's a total waste. Still, if I have money later, I am almost definitely going to buy one of those comps with reversable touchscreens.