Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

skritter.com down?

jww1066   November 21st, 2010 12:01a.m.

I was able to get in only by using skritter.cn. Skritter.com doesn't even respond to pings. What happened?

wb   November 21st, 2010 12:04a.m.

same for me

Mandarinboy   November 21st, 2010 12:07a.m.

Been so for a long period of time today, Asian time. .cn have been better but still lots of error.

WanLi   November 21st, 2010 1:29a.m.

same in here logging in from Libya at the moment

scott   November 21st, 2010 1:35a.m.

Yes, skritter.com is down, because Linode, the server that proxies the data has had a power outage

http://status.linode.com/

As of right now they say that power outage has been fixed and our server should be back up and running shortly. Until then, www.skritter.cn continues to work. I'll stay up and make sure that the Linode server comes back up properly when it's available.

Sorry for the inconvenience! If you were not able to practice, let us know and we'll credit you some free time.

esther   November 21st, 2010 2:37a.m.

Scott you need another cup of coffee. It's still not working.

scott   November 21st, 2010 3:01a.m.

Agreed. I'm hanging out on the IRC chat and from the sound of things, there are a fair number of other people also with still-down servers. Could take a while. A cup of coffee sounds pretty good right now, and I don't usually drink the stuff...

mw   November 21st, 2010 3:23a.m.

.cn works for me , any reason in general I shouldn't use it over .com ?

Byzanti   November 21st, 2010 3:43a.m.

Nope. Go ahead and use! I switch between them all the time.

FatDragon   November 21st, 2010 4:45a.m.

Perks of having two domains - I just hope most of the users who have needed to study know about the .cn domain... Perhaps that can be a bullet point in the next newsletter just to increase awareness for those who might not know about the .cn domain in case something like this happens again.

mcfarljw   November 21st, 2010 6:00a.m.

Rough power outage! Glad the CN is still working.

ddapore99   November 21st, 2010 7:38a.m.

I'm glad I remembered there was a Skritter.cn to go to.

marchey   November 21st, 2010 7:58a.m.

I agree that we all should be made aware of the skritter.cn domain. I know because I have been using skritter in China and there is an automatic redirect. I hope the .com problem gets solved soon. mafan duole!

Marc

Mandarinboy   November 21st, 2010 8:05a.m.

Strange, all the servers at linode should be up by now: 5:45am (EST): The last of the damaged hosts has been hot-swapped and the remaining Linodes should have boot jobs in their queues. Still no skritter.com though. Feel sorry for the team. This we really can't blame them for. So glad that .cn do work, have been able to get some 4 hours study there today.

jlm2jlm2   November 21st, 2010 8:26a.m.

Still no is up (2:20 pm here / 8:20 EST); anyway skritter.cn is a backup or is a second skritter for China/Asia?

Byzanti   November 21st, 2010 8:34a.m.

Both, it seems :p.

wb   November 21st, 2010 8:54a.m.

back up again

nick   November 21st, 2010 8:56a.m.

Huh, I slept through the whole thing. I woke up and the nginx process on the server hadn't properly restarted itself--without checking this thread, I restarted and it seems to be good.

Sorry guys. I've credited everyone's account from this thread, and you can either post here or email us to reclaim your lost day. Contest for this month will take downtime today into account, too.

skritter.cn should be better for everyone in Asia anyway. Traffic still has to go to Google in the US, but it goes through Hong Kong first instead of California.

jww1066   November 21st, 2010 9:03a.m.

Another crazy thing: I got many, many duplicated notification emails from this thread (for example, wb's "same for me" arrived about 15 times). There are 17 comments and I received 54 notification emails, all around 8:54 AM.

You don't need to credit my account, as I got in from skritter.cn.

James

nick   November 21st, 2010 9:18a.m.

One half of the server must have been trying very hard to make the other half of it respond for a while!

Byzanti   November 21st, 2010 10:17a.m.

As with James, no need to credit.

But I do feel very sorry for the server after your last comment..!

Foo Choo Choon   November 21st, 2010 10:33a.m.

Just to put the accounting terminology right, don't credit my asset account, but please debit it. My increase in assets then corresponds to an increase in your liabilities.

Bankers just use flawed terminology.

jww1066   November 21st, 2010 10:55a.m.

@K書中心 huh?

jlm2jlm2   November 21st, 2010 11:38a.m.

me neither, it is not your fault.

kdcheng10   November 21st, 2010 2:10p.m.

Oh man I wish I had known about .cn. I was refreshing skritter from 11pm to 4am x.x Could I get some time?

nick   November 21st, 2010 2:29p.m.

kdcheng10, sure. Sorry!

K書中心, after reading a summary of the subject, I don't blame bankers for not getting it right:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debits_and_credits

WanLi   November 21st, 2010 2:32p.m.

thanks, same case here, no need to credit it me i was able to use the .cn

esther   November 21st, 2010 3:00p.m.

Same here. I was on Skritter.cn.

Foo Choo Choon   November 21st, 2010 5:02p.m.

Strangely, the "Items due" statistics have ceased to work properly for me. "Items due now" almost doesn't change at all and for next week it says "0 items due next week" (0-0-0-0-0-0-0).
A related or a separate issue?

cmccorvey   November 21st, 2010 6:11p.m.

This might be a silly question, but how will the outage affect the currently running learning challenge? I had no problems (used the .cn site), but I wonder if perhaps gaps in folks activity during the availability gaps of the .com or .cn site should simply be ignored?

jww1066   November 21st, 2010 6:48p.m.

@cmmccorvey see Nick's comment above:

"Sorry guys. I've credited everyone's account from this thread, and you can either post here or email us to reclaim your lost day. Contest for this month will take downtime today into account, too."

Judee   November 21st, 2010 9:07p.m.

i didn't know about the .cn domain. :(

nick   November 21st, 2010 10:04p.m.

I also did some changes to the future items counting, trying to get it to preload when you hit the home page so you don't have to wait on the practice nav page. Looks like it's not always working? I haven't been able to reproduce it, K書中心. If you can repro it reliably, can you send me the details so I can figure it out? Thanks!

Judee, I've given you a credit, too. Sorry about that!

smhon   November 21st, 2010 10:10p.m.

Yup, its been down when I tried to access it from here in Singapore too.

But this morning it seems back up, so just a day...my bamboo got the holiday.

@Nick
I'm wondering if there would be a way to sign up for notification so if there is a future outage, then when it is back up anyone who opts in to the list will get a mail notification, instead of having to try logging in every few hours?

smhon   November 21st, 2010 10:12p.m.

@Jww
Shucks...yeah I didn't know about the .cn access; thanks for sharing

nick   November 22nd, 2010 4:02p.m.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to make an uptime notification email subscription that worked, smhon. I subscribe to Pingdom for skritter.cn, but it always gives me false negatives--and if they can't make it accurate, when it's all of their business, it's probably pretty tough. Anyway, I've debited your account with an asset of one extra day. Sorry for the inconvenience!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!