Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

studied 102 sec ago: not due (2%)

wispfrog   December 2nd, 2010 1:50p.m.

There seem to be a lot of server glitches at the moment.

My question: is there any danger in answering things like the above correctly, it won't push it too far into the future will it?

nick   December 2nd, 2010 1:58p.m.

The server is not happy right now, no. Neither am I. Really sorry about this.

There's no danger in answering prompts like this correctly; the server will do the right thing in terms of scheduling and only increase the interval a tiny bit.

jww1066   December 2nd, 2010 2:09p.m.

One suggestion, based on having seen lots and lots of intermittent problems like this: it's not clear to the user at the moment whether the client has been able to send its results successfully to the server. If you go to the JavaScript console, you can see that errors are occurring, but there's no indication when things go well (i.e. when the server has finally been updated with the latest results). It would be helpful to know this so we know it's safe to close the page. Maybe a tiny indicator that goes green when the server has been brought up to date?

James

wispfrog   December 2nd, 2010 2:10p.m.

No big problem - thanks!

There's also that fun state where right at the start of a session it somehow gets into 'mad adding' mode and adds a whole bunch of new items instead of doing the ones that are new.

wispfrog   December 2nd, 2010 2:13p.m.

Yeah, we do sort of thing as well in our web app - stuff that hasn't got to the server yet gets an unobtrusive, but definitely different background colour, and a small notice saying "n items not saved".

That still doesn't stop clueless people continuing on for a long time losing work though, so maybe it needs to be more obvious!

nick   December 2nd, 2010 3:09p.m.

Good thinking. I'll bump up the priority on that.

wb   December 3rd, 2010 1:37a.m.

"Google has a reputation for highly reliable, high performance infrastructure. With App Engine you can take advantage of the 10 years of knowledge Google has in running massively scalable, performance driven systems." well...

jww1066   December 3rd, 2010 8:07a.m.

I have to admit, based on the problems it's been causing the Skritter guys, I have crossed App Engine off the list for one of my own projects.

James Sharp   December 3rd, 2010 9:55a.m.

Yes I've been having occasions about once per hour when three or four characters just repeat themselves in a loop, and the "last studied" stat doesn't update.

But no big deal.

James

nick   December 3rd, 2010 5:17p.m.

Okay, the lag indicator is in alpha. Let me know how well it reflects your lovely connection experiences, and whether it's distracting. Note that it currently just tracks things saved through Flash, which doesn't include the mnemonics, custom definitions, etc. yet.

william   December 5th, 2010 8:12a.m.

The lag indicator is a great help and it's not distracting at all.

west316   December 5th, 2010 10:47a.m.

I am a fan of the lag indicator so far.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!